Class Blog

Email Me

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Week 7 March 7

      Randy Pausch described several teaching methods he used throughout his career. I really enjoyed the video and I found that he was a very agreeable person.
      One of which he stated was to have students think they are learning something else. He said that he would have million of students having fun while learning something hard.Alice The Infinitely Scalable Dream Factory, was a great way to teach students to program computers while they just think they are making videos and movies.
      He also described that when he was younger and played football he had a coach who "rode him a whole practice". The assistant teacher later approached him and commented that, it was only because he had faith him. you should only worry when you are doing something wrong and no one corrects you. This would mean that they had given up on you.
      Since the program he taught was a double masters program, he said there was no books. By the time they had reached him, they probably read every book in the library. Learning in this program, was all hands on. I think this is really neat because it is hard for me to learn something if I can manipulate it and physically put my hands on it.
      Finally, I think the best thing he said was that you should never loose the child like wonder. I think the basis of his teaching philosophy would be that if you're not having fun it's not being taught properly. I say this because, I think the root of who Randy is would be a joyous and fun person, and he applies this to his teaching.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the best thing he said was that you should never loose your child-like wonder. You have good points from his speech; I like how you mentioned the Alice computer program. I thought that was interesting as well. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked what he said about what the assistant teacher told him later. If someone takes the time to correct you the want you to be successful. I say this to my 14 year old children sometimes when I am correcting them about something. I tell them that if did not care about them I would not take the time to correct them I would just let them go on being wrong or mixed-up or whatever. I tell them that is part of the job of a Dad. They seem to get it but I still don't think they like being corrected. SS

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a very interesting speech and truly inspirational. I too agree that we shouldn't lose our child like wonder. Good post.

    ReplyDelete