Class Blog

Email Me

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Week 8 March 12

1. ALEX
      ALEX is an acronym for Alabama Learning Exchange, it is a website with different links to things such as Alabama course of study, lesson plans, podcasts, and more. When you go to the lesson plans link, it allows you to choose from every subject, grade level, and objective. Once you have selected the information for the lesson plan, a bunch of different lesson plans show up. You are then given many different options for this lesson plan.
      In addition to this, the podcast section of the website gives the user a list of subjects. Upon choosing a subject, the user is then shown the top podcasts for that subject.There are many different interviews, and lectures to choose from.
      I believe that this would be a very useful tool when I begin teaching. One reason I feel this way, is because I have been worried about coming up with so many lesson plans. To just be able to go online and borrow a lesson plan is such a great tool. Along with this, I like the idea of being able to enrich my lesson plan by selecting a podcast that relates to the material.

2.ACCESS
      ACCESS is an acronym for Alabama Connecting Classrooms, Educators, &Students Statewide. This website has many different resources such as Mathtype,Chemlab, Alabama Virtual Library, and Advanced Placement prep tests. ACCESS allows students to get the classroom experience from the comfort of their home. This allows many more students to receive an education that otherwise may be impossible.
      In addition to this, it allows high school students to take at least one distant learning course during their high school years. It also gives students the opportunity to expand their education with a variety of electives. Access to these courses allows students to personalize their education to meet their goals.
      I believe that this would be a useful tool because students are no longer limited to walls of the classroom. I personally, wanted to graduate high school early and I went through a lot of obstacles. My school didn't offer additional courses at times that would allow me to finish early. If I were able to use a tool such as ACCESS in high school, I would have been able to graduate early and get a head start on my college education.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stacy!! Just stopped by to comment on your awesome blog!! :) I agree with your thoughts on Alex and Access! I also feel that it is a great tool for new and upcoming teachers. I will probably be a little overwhelmed with the lesson planning and this tool is going to be very helpful. As is Access with high school who are trying to earn their degree in advance. Great blog!!!

    ReplyDelete